New York, NY
PA’LANTE is seeking a Housing Specialist, or Senior Housing Specialist – depending on experience – to join the organization. The specialist will primarily represent tenants in upper Manhattan and the Bronx, fighting to enforce tenants’ housing rights.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide technical assistance and wrap around homeless prevention services to low income families and the working poor
• Assist rent regulated renters with individual applications to housing enforcement agencies including Housing Preservation & Development, Division of Housing & Community Renewal (apartment complaints, rent overcharge, lease renewal procurement, succession rights, etc.)
• Conduct research for potential building wide class-action cases • Help organize individual Tenants’ Associations
• Assist tenants’ associations in networking and building alliances with other tenant associations
• Coordinate and help facilitate regular workshops specific to housing rights, laws and processes
• Participate in and/or lead periodic tenant association evening meetings when representing a group of tenants
• Engage in advocacy and mediation with landlords and managing agents
• Update case management CRM system, maintain and update files and case notes, and assist in grant reporting when needed
• Work with the Executive Director, Managing Counsel, and other team members to represent PA’LANTE in the community
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Five (5) years of relevant experience
• Fluent in written and spoken Spanish
• A deep commitment to advocating on behalf of working-class, lower-income, and marginalized
• A proven ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups of people, offices, agencies, and organizations
• Excellent writing, research, community organizing, and advocacy skills
• Reliable, detail-oriented, well-organized, and able to work both collaboratively and independently
• Knowledge of government benefits
Salary range of $52,000 to $80,000 (dependent on experience). PA’LANTE offers a generous benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, paid sick/personal days, vacation time with rollover days, retirement account, life insurance, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and résumé by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “PA’LANTE Housing Specialist Opening” in the subject line. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.